Wednesday, December 27, 2017

27

Have y'all seen the 100 Years Show? Painter Carmen Herrera's work simply sings. The way she uses color and proportion really speaks to me, and I think you can see her influence reflected in some of my square designs.

I love the way she can make stripes vibrate with each other, and I am experimenting with how to make the beads do that. This week's square doesn't quite get there. But I do think it is a good framework upon which to try different color and finish combinations to see what happens.  For example, for this one I used black/light gray matte AB, and white/dark gray; what would happen if I used three colors for each set of stripes? Notice that with this stripe layout, the center square of stripes will always be assymetrical, that is, it's color A on one edge and B on the other.


I think I got closer to the kind of effect I'm interested in with Square 8, below. The colored stripes appear to float above the concentric squares. Maybe it's time to bring back Sour Puss. 
Speaking of Sour Pusses, Clio got a  new Scratchie for Christmas, and she clearly loves it. 
Behind her is not a paper bag. That is her tunnel.

We've reached the last square of 2017, and it also marks the beginning of new explorations.
Happy New Year!





No comments:

Post a Comment